Skip to main content

Hajj attendance surges despite regional conflict

1 min Philippe Naggar

More than 1.5 million Muslim pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia for the Hajj, a figure that already exceeds last year's foreign arrivals, with the pilgrimage itself not beginning until Monday.

Pilgrims in Mecca © Mena Today 

Pilgrims in Mecca © Mena Today 

More than 1.5 million Muslim pilgrims have arrived in Saudi Arabia for the Hajj, a figure that already exceeds last year's foreign arrivals, with the pilgrimage itself not beginning until Monday.

The numbers are striking given the backdrop. The Hajj is taking place under the shadow of regional conflict, following the Israeli-American strike on Tehran on February 28 that prompted Iran to target its Gulf neighbours. The resulting airspace closures, flight cancellations and surge in travel costs had raised serious doubts about attendance levels this year.

That pilgrims have turned out in such numbers is a testament to the centrality of the Hajj in Muslim life, one of Islam's five pillars, obligatory for every Muslim who is physically and financially able to undertake it at least once in a lifetime. Major Gulf carriers from the UAE, Qatar and Bahrain have largely restored their operational capacity after weeks of disruption, easing access to the holy sites.

In 2025, total pilgrims numbered 1.67 million. This year's final count is expected to rise further before the rites begin.

Tags

Philippe Naggar

Philippe Naggar

Philippe Naggar is a French-Egyptian journalist. Based in Abu Dhabi, he covers news across the Middle East and the Gulf region. He previously lived for several years in Tehran, giving him a solid expertise on Iran

Related

Saudi Arabia

Pakistan expands military cooperation with Saudi Arabia

Pakistan has deployed 8,000 troops, a squadron of fighter jets and an air defence system to Saudi Arabia under a mutual defence pact, ramping up military cooperation with Riyadh even as Islamabad serves as the main mediator in the Iran war.

Saudi Arabia

UAE and Saudi Arabia on alert after drone incidents

A drone strike caused a fire at a nuclear power plant in the United Arab Emirates, officials there said on Sunday, while Saudi Arabia reported intercepting three drones, as U.S. President Donald Trump warned that Iran must act "fast" after efforts to end the U.S.-Israeli war with Iran appeared to have stalled.

Saudi Arabia

Khashoggi case: French judge orders new investigation

A French judge has been appointed to lead an inquiry over the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the country's national anti-terrorism prosecutor's office (PNAT) said on Saturday, after a court ruled the case admissible.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.