Skip to main content

Israel on edge as Iran tensions escalate

1 min Oren Levi

Israel’s military says it is on heightened alert amid rising tensions with Iran, but officials stress that there is no change in instructions for the civilian population.

Projecting deterrence and operational readiness toward potential threats © Mena Today 

Projecting deterrence and operational readiness toward potential threats © Mena Today 

Israel’s military says it is on heightened alert amid rising tensions with Iran, but officials stress that there is no change in instructions for the civilian population.

In a video message delivered just before the start of Shabbat, Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesperson Brigadier General Effie Defrin said the army is closely monitoring regional developments and the growing public debate surrounding Iran.

“We are following regional developments very closely,” Defrin stated. “The IDF is on high alert. Our eyes are open in every direction, and our finger is more than ever on the trigger in response to any change in the operational reality.”

The remarks reflect the seriousness with which Israeli defense officials are viewing the situation, signaling readiness without formally escalating the alert level for civilians.

Despite the strong language, Defrin emphasized that there are currently no new directives for the public. “There is no change in the guidelines,” he said, seeking to reassure citizens while underscoring the military’s preparedness.

The message highlights Israel’s dual approach: projecting deterrence and operational readiness toward potential threats, particularly from Iran, while maintaining domestic stability and avoiding unnecessary panic.

As regional tensions continue to evolve, Israeli forces remain vigilant — prepared to respond swiftly to any shift on the ground.

Tags

Oren Levi

Oren Levi

Oren Levi joined Mena Today earlier this year. Based in Tel Aviv, he has worked for several Israeli newspapers and television channels. He covers news in Israel and the Palestinian territories

Related

Iran

Negotiation is not naivety

The United States did not seek zero uranium enrichment in nuclear talks this week and Iran did not offer to suspend enrichment, Iran's foreign minister said on Friday, adding that he expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.