Skip to main content

Qalibaf's Baghdad visit: A test of Iran's regional influence

1 min Philippe Naggar

Iranian parliament speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf touched down in Baghdad Wednesday with a message: the region needs a "new order" free of foreign meddling. 

Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf © Mena Today 

Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf © Mena Today 

Iranian parliament speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf touched down in Baghdad Wednesday with a message: the region needs a "new order" free of foreign meddling. 

The timing wasn't subtle, his visit lands just as Washington ramps up pressure on Iraq to dismantle powerful Tehran-backed armed factions.

Qalibaf framed his three-day trip as an effort "to strengthen the new order in the region and accelerate cooperation between all regional countries, without foreign interference." Standing near Baghdad airport,  the site where a 2020 US strike killed Quds Force commander Qassem Soleimani and his Iraqi deputy Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, he added: "Resistance in Iraq is one of the pillars of this country's strength."

His itinerary includes meetings Wednesday with Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi and the Coordination Framework, the ruling coalition of Shiite parties with varying degrees of closeness to Tehran.

Iraq and Iran, both Shiite-majority nations sharing roughly 1,500 kilometers of border, maintain close political, religious and commercial ties.

Qalibaf's trip continues Thursday in Karbala for fortieth-day mourning ceremonies marking the death of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, killed in the opening US-Israeli strikes on February 28, before wrapping up Friday in Najaf.

Philippe Naggar

Philippe Naggar

Philippe Naggar is a French-Egyptian journalist. Based in Abu Dhabi, he covers news across the Middle East and the Gulf region. He previously lived for several years in Tehran, giving him a solid expertise on Iran

Related

Iran

Trump: There are no conversations with Iran

President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that talks between the U.S. and Iran were neither taking place nor scheduled but the Strait of Hormuz was open, while Iran said the shipping route would remain closed until the U.S. fulfilled the terms of an interim deal.

Iran

Trump hardens Iran stance with threat against Oman

President Donald Trump said on Monday that Iran would not make the deal he thinks is needed to end a war with the U.S. and should surrender as talks between the countries remained stalled.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.