Skip to main content

Russian drone attack kills two in Ukraine's Kharkiv, officials say

1 min Reuters

Russian drones struck a military hospital, shopping centre, apartment blocks and other targets in Kharkiv, Ukraine's second-largest city, late on Saturday, killing two people and injuring at least 25, local officials and the Ukrainian military said.

A view shows the site of a Russian drone strike, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kharkiv, Ukraine March 29, 2025. Reuters/Vyacheslav Madiyevskyy

A view shows the site of a Russian drone strike, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kharkiv, Ukraine March 29, 2025. Reuters/Vyacheslav Madiyevskyy

Russian drones struck a military hospital, shopping centre, apartment blocks and other targets in Kharkiv, Ukraine's second-largest city, late on Saturday, killing two people and injuring at least 25, local officials and the Ukrainian military said.

"According to preliminary information, there were injuries among the servicemen undergoing treatment in the medical centre," the military's General Staff said on the Telegram messaging app.

It denounced the "deliberate, targeted shelling" of the facility which it said "added to the long list of vile and cynical crimes committed by the Russians since the beginning of the unprovoked invasion of Ukraine".

Kharkiv Mayor Ihor Terekhov said one of the dead had been pulled out from under rubble. He put the overall number of injured at 27.

Terekhov said an office building was also among the targets, with one drone triggering a fire.

Oleh Syniehubov, the regional governor, said 25 people were hurt, including a 15-year-old girl who is in serious condition.

Prosecutors, quoted by public broadcaster Suspilne, put the number of injured at 30. Suspilne posted photos of rescue teams in protective equipment sifting through rubble as well as piles of twisted metal and construction materials outside buildings.

Kharkiv, located in northeastern Ukraine, resisted capture in the early weeks of Russia's February 2022 invasion.

But as Russian forces focused their attention on capturing large swathes of eastern Ukraine, the city has been a frequent target of air attacks.

Reporting by Ron Popeski and Oleksandr Kozhukhar

Tags

Reuters

Reuters

Reuters, one of the world’s largest news agencies, is owned by Thomson Reuters and operates in around 200 locations globally, with a team of 2,500 journalists and 600 photojournalists producing content in 16 languages. Recognizing its professionalism and expertise, 

Mena Today has established a partnership with the global agency to strengthen its news coverage and international reach.

Related

Politics

Italy PM says US tariffs a mistake, but no catastrophe

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said on Thursday that trade tariffs announced by the United States were a mistake but their impact should not be overestimated and the reaction needed to be carefully considered.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.