Skip to main content

Vance still in U.S. ahead of planned Iran talks

1 min Reuters

Vice President JD Vance is still in the United States and has not yet departed for Pakistan, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters, as prospects for a second round of negotiations with Iran remain unclear.

U.S. Vice President JD Vance, Jacquelyn Martin/Reuters

U.S. Vice President JD Vance, Jacquelyn Martin/Reuters

Vice President JD Vance is still in the United States and has not yet departed for Pakistan, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters, as prospects for a second round of negotiations with Iran remain unclear.

President Donald Trump has said he would send a U.S. delegation to Pakistan for additional talks before a ceasefire is set to expire in the coming days. Iran is considering attending the peace talks, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday, but no decision had been made.

A second source familiar with the matter said the U.S. delegation has not departed yet, but plans to travel to Islamabad soon.

The New York Post earlier reported that Trump said in an interview that Vance, White House envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner were on their way to the talks. The three participated in the first round of talks to end hostilities that began with U.S.-Israeli attacks on Iran on February 28.

(Reporting by Gram Slattery, Katharine Jackson and Susan Heavey; editing by Doina Chiacu and Michelle Nichols)

Reporting by Gram Slattery, Katharine Jackson and Susan Heavey

Reuters

Reuters

Reuters, one of the world’s largest news agencies, is owned by Thomson Reuters and operates in around 200 locations globally, with a team of 2,500 journalists and 600 photojournalists producing content in 16 languages. Recognizing its professionalism and expertise, 

Mena Today has established a partnership with the global agency to strengthen its news coverage and international reach.

Related

Iran

Hours away from a deal

A deal with Iran may be hours away, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio suggested Sunday, raising hopes of a formal end to the Middle East conflict that has roiled global energy markets since February.

Iran

Trump says Iran agreement close despite Hormuz row

A "largely negotiated" memorandum of understanding on an Iran peace deal would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday, although the Iranian Fars news agency disputed that claim.

Iran

Iran deal near completion, Trump says

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that a memorandum of understanding on a peace deal has been "largely negotiated" with Iran and will open the Strait of Hormuz, with details to be unveiled soon.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.