Skip to main content

At least 6 killed, 25 wounded in Israeli strikes on eastern Lebanon

1 min Mena Today

At least six people were killed and 25 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Friday, the Lebanese state news agency reported, after the Israeli military said it had targeted Hezbollah sites in the Baalbek area.

Baalbek, Lebanon © Mena Today 

Baalbek, Lebanon © Mena Today 

At least six people were killed and 25 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Friday, the Lebanese state news agency reported, after the Israeli military said it had targeted Hezbollah sites in the Baalbek area.

The strikes are among the deadliest reported in eastern Lebanon in recent weeks and risk testing a fragile U.S.-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah, which has been strained by recurring accusations of violations.

The Israeli military said in a statement that it struck Hezbollah command centres in the Baalbek area, part of eastern Lebanon's Bekaa Valley.

There was no immediate comment from Hezbollah.

Israel and Hezbollah agreed to a U.S.-brokered ceasefire in 2024 intended to end more than a year of cross-border fire that culminated in Israeli strikes that weakened the Iran-aligned group. Since then, the sides have traded accusations of ceasefire violations.

U.S. and Israeli officials have pressed Lebanese authorities to curb Hezbollah's arsenal, while Lebanese leaders have warned that broader Israeli strikes could further destabilize the country already battered by political and economic crises.

Separately, the Israeli military said it also struck what it described as a Hamas command centre from which militants operated in the Ain al-Hilweh area in southern Lebanon. Ain al-Hilweh is a crowded Palestinian refugee camp near Sidon.

Reporting by Laila Bassam and Enas Alashray

Related

Israel

Israel on edge as Iran tensions escalate

Israel’s military says it is on heightened alert amid rising tensions with Iran, but officials stress that there is no change in instructions for the civilian population.

Israel

From global ambition to uncertain horizon

Launched a decade ago by French-Israeli businessman Patrick Drahi, owner of French telecom operator SFR, I24News now appears to be entering its final chapter.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.