Skip to main content

Blasts kill 11 at east Congo rally, rebels say

1 min Mena Today

Explosions killed 11 people and wounded 65 at a rally held by M23 rebels in the eastern Congo city of Bukavu on Thursday, the leader of the rebel alliance said, blaming President Felix Tshisekedi for the violence.

People attend a rally addressed by Congolese rebel leader and coordinator of the AFC-M23 movement, in Bukavu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo February 27, 2025. Reuters/Victoire Mukenge

People attend a rally addressed by Congolese rebel leader and coordinator of the AFC-M23 movement, in Bukavu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo February 27, 2025. Reuters/Victoire Mukenge

Explosions killed 11 people and wounded 65 at a rally held by M23 rebels in the eastern Congo city of Bukavu on Thursday, the leader of the rebel alliance said, blaming President Felix Tshisekedi for the violence.

Congo's presidency, which says neighbouring Rwanda is backing the insurgents, said on X there had been "several" deaths in a post on X and blamed "a foreign army illegally present on Congolese soil".

Neither side offered evidence for their claims.

Corneille Nangaa, leader of the rebel alliance that includes M23, said at a press conference that grenades used were the same type as employed by Burundi's army in Congo.

Reuters could not independently verify this.

Burundian army spokesperson Brigadier General Gaspard Baratuza told Reuters there were no Burundian soldiers in Bukavu but did not address the accusation over the grenades.

The rebels have been advancing through eastern Democratic Republic of Congo since the start of the year, seizing Bukavu and the region's largest city Goma.

Videos circled showing people running through the streets, some bleeding and carrying limp bodies.

A medical source also said 65 people were being treated for injuries at Bukavu's general hospital.

Nangaa said that he was not wounded and other senior members of the rebel grouping were safe.

Congo, the U.N. and Western powers say neighbouring Rwanda is backing Nangaa's M23 rebel group - accusations Rwanda denies. The rebel advance has stirred fears of a regional war that could draw in Congo's neighbours.

Rwanda has said it is defending itself against the threat from a Hutu militia, which it says is fighting with the Congolese military.

Reporting by Congo newsroom and Sonia Rolley in Paris

 

Tags

Related

Politics

Italy PM says US tariffs a mistake, but no catastrophe

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said on Thursday that trade tariffs announced by the United States were a mistake but their impact should not be overestimated and the reaction needed to be carefully considered.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.