Skip to main content

Carrefour out, new Arab grocery chain In: Majid Al Futtaim’s move in Jordan

1 min Mena Today

Carrefour's Middle East franchisee Majid Al Futtaim has suspended Carrefour Jordan and is replacing it with a new brand, Hypermax, it announced on Tuesday, without giving a reason for the decision.

Majid Al Futtaim, the exclusive Middle East franchisee of French retailer Carrefour, said in an emailed statement that it "regularly reviews and assesses its businesses to ensure it remains agile in adapting to evolving market dynamics" © Mena Today 

Majid Al Futtaim, the exclusive Middle East franchisee of French retailer Carrefour, said in an emailed statement that it "regularly reviews and assesses its businesses to ensure it remains agile in adapting to evolving market dynamics" © Mena Today 

Carrefour's Middle East franchisee Majid Al Futtaim has suspended Carrefour Jordan and is replacing it with a new brand, Hypermax, it announced on Tuesday, without giving a reason for the decision.

Carrefour Jordan had announced late Monday in a Facebook post that it would no longer operate in the country.

"We thank our customers and apologize for any inconvenience that may result from this decision," Carrefour Jordan said in the post, without providing a reason for the closure.

Majid Al Futtaim, the exclusive Middle East franchisee of French retailer Carrefour, said in an emailed statement that it "regularly reviews and assesses its businesses to ensure it remains agile in adapting to evolving market dynamics".

Carrefour, which launched in Israel in May last year under a franchise agreement, has been targeted by the Palestinian-led boycott, divestment, sanctions (BDS) movement over its business in the country.

The Carrefour Jordan Facebook post was shared more than 7,000 times, with many comments linking the closure to the boycott campaign over Israel's military offensive in the Gaza Strip.

Majid Al Futtaim said Hypermax, a "brand-new Arab grocery chain", would be rolled out across all 34 of its stores across the country. It said Hypermax meets the needs of its Jordanian customers and their preference for locally sourced products.

It was not clear whether the stores would be shut during the rollout of Hypermax, with Majid Al Futtaim saying only that it would ensure minimal disruption to customers.

Reporting by Menna Alaa in Cairo and Helen Reid in London

Tags

Related

Turkey

Low U.S. tariffs give Turkish goods a competitive boost

Turkey could gain a competitive edge in accessing the U.S. market following the United States’ decision to impose higher tariffs on goods from major trading partners while maintaining a relatively low baseline tariff on Turkish exports, according to Turkish Vice President Cevdet Yilmaz.

Turkey

“Best of the Worst”: Turkey hits back at U.S. tariffs

Turkey has expressed its intention to engage in direct talks with the United States to seek the removal of a 10% additional tariff imposed on Turkish goods under the trade measures announced by President Donald Trump, Trade Minister Omer Bolat said on Saturday.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.