Skip to main content

Cyprus to ban mobile use in schools

1 min Mena Today

Cyprus is to ban mobile phone use in schools, the education minister said on Wednesday, saying they were too much of a distraction for students and led to anti-social behaviour.

Cyprus will follow several European states in enacting a ban following recommendations from the U.N. agency UNESCO © Mena Today 

Cyprus will follow several European states in enacting a ban following recommendations from the U.N. agency UNESCO © Mena Today 

Cyprus is to ban mobile phone use in schools, the education minister said on Wednesday, saying they were too much of a distraction for students and led to anti-social behaviour.

Authorities plan to introduce the ban once it is discussed with parliament, Minister Athena Michaelidou said.

Cyprus will follow several European states in enacting a ban following recommendations from the U.N. agency UNESCO, she said.

"It's clear that the use of a mobile phone distracts students from their lessons, but primarily, its linked to an increase in anti-social behaviour," Michaelidou said.

Students will not be banned from bringing their phones to school but they will not be able to switch them on, she said.

Official data shows that just over 1.4 million mobile phones are operating in Cyprus - more than its population of just under 1 million people in government-controlled areas.

Reporting by Michele Kambas

Related

Turkey

Dark signal for Turkish democracy

Turkey's opposition vowed on Friday to resist an unprecedented court ruling that ousted its leader, inflamed a political crisis and sent investors running from Turkish assets over concerns of increasing instability.

Iran

Pakistan aims to unlock progress in Iran negotiations

Iran's foreign minister met Pakistan's interior minister on Friday to discuss proposals to end the U.S.-Israeli war, Iranian media reported, with Tehran and Washington still at odds over Tehran's uranium stockpile and controls on the Strait of Hormuz.

Turkey

University targeted in criminal investigation loses licence in Turkey

Turkey has revoked the operational licence for Istanbul Bilgi University, effectively forcing it to close, according to a decision published in the Official Gazette on Friday, after the university was seized by the state in a criminal investigation last year. 

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.