Skip to main content

Gaza flotilla intercepted: all 430 pro-Palestinian activists heading to Israel after naval boarding

1 min Edward Finkelstein

All 430 members of the Gaza-bound flotilla intercepted by the Israeli navy off Cyprus on Monday are now en route to Israel, the Israeli Foreign Ministry announced early Wednesday.

The flotilla, Global Sumud, comprising around fifty vessels, was organised by pro-Palestinian activists, many of them with documented ties to Hamas and a long record of visceral hostility toward Israel © Mena Today 

The flotilla, Global Sumud, comprising around fifty vessels, was organised by pro-Palestinian activists, many of them with documented ties to Hamas and a long record of visceral hostility toward Israel © Mena Today 

All 430 members of the Gaza-bound flotilla intercepted by the Israeli navy off Cyprus on Monday are now en route to Israel, the Israeli Foreign Ministry announced early Wednesday.

"The 430 activists have all been transferred to Israeli vessels and are heading to Israel, where they will be able to meet their consular representatives," a ministry spokesman said.

The flotilla, Global Sumud, comprising around fifty vessels, was organised by pro-Palestinian activists, many of them with documented ties to Hamas and a long record of visceral hostility toward Israel.

Far from a neutral humanitarian operation, the convoy has been widely described as a political provocation aimed at delegitimising Israel's right to defend its borders rather than a genuine effort to deliver aid through established channels.

The group condemned the interception as illegal and violent. "The Israeli occupation has once again illegally and violently intercepted our international fleet of humanitarian ships," it posted on X, demanding the immediate release of its volunteers and an end to the Gaza blockade — using the language of resistance movements rather than that of humanitarian organisations.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised the operation, telling the naval commander directly: "You are carrying this out with remarkable success. Continue to the end."

Israel's Foreign Ministry had been unambiguous: it would "not permit any violation of the legal naval blockade imposed on Gaza »,  a blockade put in place following the Hamas massacre of October 7, 2023, which triggered the current conflict.

It was the third attempt in a year to break the blockade. Each time, Israel has intercepted the vessels. Each time, the activists have framed it as a victory.

Tags

Edward Finkelstein

Edward Finkelstein

From Athens, Edward Finkelstein covers current events in Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Egypt, Libya, and Sudan. He has over 15 years of experience reporting on these countries. He is a specialist in terrorism issues

Related

Lebanon

Most Lebanese communities back peace with Israel

A new poll conducted between April 28 and May 5 reveals a striking picture of Lebanese public opinion on a potential peace agreement with Israel: across most of the country's major religious communities, support is either strong or majority, with one dramatic exception.

Gaza

Trump-appointed Gaza Board calls for quicker disbursement

The gap between funding pledges and disbursement for Donald Trump's Gaza rebuilding plan must be closed urgently, the U.S. president's "Board of Peace" has said in a report, identifying a potential cash crunch in a plan estimated to cost $70 billion.

Gaza

Majority of the fleet was intercepted

The organisers of an aid flotilla bound for Gaza said on Tuesday Israeli forces had intercepted 41 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean, with 10 vessels still sailing toward the enclave.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.