Skip to main content

Gunfire breaks out in Guinea-Bissau capital overnight, continues through morning

1 min Mena Today

Gun shots were fired overnight in Guinea-Bissau's capital Bissau and continued into Friday morning, Reuters reporters said.

Guinea-Bissau's capital Bissau © Mena Today 

Guinea-Bissau's capital Bissau © Mena Today 

Gun shots were fired overnight in Guinea-Bissau's capital Bissau and continued into Friday morning, Reuters reporters said.

The circumstances of the shooting remain unclear.

One reporter said gunshots were first heard after midnight in the neighbourhood of Antula, on the outskirts of the capital, where an army general lives.

Military vehicles were on the streets on Friday morning as residents commuted to work and school. Gunshots could still be heard but were less frequent than during the night.

Another reporter heard gunshots not far from the presidential palace.

There have been at least 10 coups or attempted coups in Guinea Bissau since independence from Portugal in 1974. Only one democratically elected president has completed a full term in the West African nation south of Senegal.

At least six people were killed during a failed attempt to overthrow President Umaro Sissoco Embalo in February last year.

At the time, Embalo suggested it was linked to the government's fight against drug trafficking rather than an army plan to seize power.

West Africa has been hit by a string of military takeovers over the past three years, including two in Mali, one in Guinea, two in Burkina Faso and one in Gabon.

Sierra Leone's government pushed back a military attempt to overthrow it over the weekend. More than 20 people were killed as gunmen in the capital Freetown attacked military barracks, a prison and other locations on Sunday, freeing about 2,200 inmates.

Reporting by Alberto Dabo and Samba BaldeWriting by Sofia ChristensenEditing by Christina Fincher

Tags

Related

Politics

Italy PM says US tariffs a mistake, but no catastrophe

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said on Thursday that trade tariffs announced by the United States were a mistake but their impact should not be overestimated and the reaction needed to be carefully considered.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.