Skip to main content

Israel military says missile launched from Yemen was likely intercepted

1 min Mena Today

The Israeli military said on Sunday an attempt to intercept an incoming missile launched from Yemen was likely successful after air raid sirens sounded across Israel.

Yemen's Iranian-backed Houthi movement has launched missiles and drones at Israel since the current war in Gaza began in 2023, saying it was acting in support of Palestinians © Mena Today 

Yemen's Iranian-backed Houthi movement has launched missiles and drones at Israel since the current war in Gaza began in 2023, saying it was acting in support of Palestinians © Mena Today 

The Israeli military said on Sunday an attempt to intercept an incoming missile launched from Yemen was likely successful after air raid sirens sounded across Israel.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Sirens could be heard in Jerusalem around 1816 local time (1516 GMT). The military had initially said two missiles were believed to have been launched from Yemen but shortly afterwards said only one had been fired.

Yemen's Iranian-backed Houthi movement has launched missiles and drones at Israel since the current war in Gaza began in 2023, saying it was acting in support of Palestinians.

The Houthis had paused their attacks during a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza that began in January. Israel broke the ceasefire in March, resuming its campaign in Gaza.

The war began in October 2023 when Hamas led an assault on southern Israeli communities near Gaza, killing 1,200 people and taking 251 captive, according to Israeli officials.

Hamas is still holding 59 hostages, while the other 192 were either released during ceasefires or rescued by Israeli forces.

Reporting by Alexander Cornwell

Related

EU

EU ministers split over Gaza in Copenhagen meeting

European Union foreign ministers on Saturday were deeply split over the war in Gaza, with some calling for the EU to apply strong economic pressure on Israel while others made clear they were unwilling to go that far.

Yemen

Prime minister of Yemen's Houthi government killed in Israeli strike

The prime minister of Yemen's Houthi government and several other ministers were killed in an Israeli strike on the capital Sanaa, the news agency run by the group said on Saturday, citing a statement by the head of the Houthi Supreme Political Council, Mahdi al-Mashat.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.