Skip to main content

Israeli forces advise UN peacekeepers to relocate to ensure safety

1 min Mena Today

Israeli forces fired on positions used by U.N. peacekeepers in Lebanon on Wednesday and Thursday, the U.N. force said, as Israel warned Lebanese civilians not to return to homes in the south and pursued a widening offensive against Hezbollah.

UNIFIL Indonesian peacekeepers on a vehicle patrol along the Blue Line in the vicinity of El Odeisse, south Lebanon. 16 February 2023 © Pasqual Gorriz/UNIFIL

UNIFIL Indonesian peacekeepers on a vehicle patrol along the Blue Line in the vicinity of El Odeisse, south Lebanon. 16 February 2023 © Pasqual Gorriz/UNIFIL

Israeli forces fired on positions used by U.N. peacekeepers in Lebanon on Wednesday and Thursday, the U.N. force said, as Israel warned Lebanese civilians not to return to homes in the south and pursued a widening offensive against Hezbollah.

The UNIFIL force said two of its peacekeepers were injured in one of the incidents when an Israeli tank fired at a watchtower at the force's main headquarters in Ras al-Naqoura, hitting the tower and causing them to fall. There were no casualties in the other two incidents, a U.N. source said.

"Any deliberate attack on peacekeepers is a grave violation of international humanitarian law," UNIFIL said in a statement, adding that it was following up with the Israeli military.

Hezbollah said it had fired a missile salvo at Israeli forces on Thursday as they were trying to pull casualties out of the Ras al-Naqoura area, and they were directly hit.

There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military.

But in New York, Israel's U.N. Ambassador Danny Danon said Israel was focused on fighting Hezbollah and recommends "UNIFIL relocate 5 km (3 miles) north to avoid danger as fighting intensifies". 

Reuters reported last week that the Israeli military had sent a message asking U.N. peacekeepers to prepare to move "as soon as possible, in order to maintain your safety".

Danon added that "Israel has no desire to be in Lebanon, but it will do what is necessary" to drive Hezbollah away from its northern border so 70,000 displaced residents can return to their homes in northern Israel.

The conflict erupted one year ago when Hezbollah opened fire in support of Palestinian militant group Hamas at the start of the Gaza war. 

It has intensified dramatically in recent weeks, with Israel bombing Beirut's southern suburbs, the south and the Bekaa Valley, before sending in ground forces.

By Maya Gebeily and Alexander Cornwell

Related

United Nations

UN must dismiss Francesca Albanese without delay

An independent United Nations body on Tuesday condemned what it described as vicious attacks based on disinformation by several European ministers against the organisation's special rapporteur for Palestine, Francesca Albanese.

Israel

From global ambition to uncertain horizon

Launched a decade ago by French-Israeli businessman Patrick Drahi, owner of French telecom operator SFR, I24News now appears to be entering its final chapter.

Israel

A new French brasserie finds its home in Tel Aviv

Parisian brasseries are more than restaurants. They are part of France’s cultural fabric, places where time slows, waiters glide between tables in long aprons, and the menu rarely strays from the classics. 

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.