Skip to main content

Istanbul mayor hit with another judicial probe, media reports

1 min Mena Today

An Istanbul prosecutor launched another judicial investigation into the city's Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu on Monday for attempting to influence the judiciary after he criticised legal probes into opposition-run municipalities, Turkish media reported.

Ekrem Imamoglu © X

Ekrem Imamoglu © X

An Istanbul prosecutor launched another judicial investigation into the city's Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu on Monday for attempting to influence the judiciary after he criticised legal probes into opposition-run municipalities, Turkish media reported.

News of the investigation came minutes after Imamoglu, who is seen as a likely future presidential challenger to Tayyip Erdogan, accused Erdogan's government of using the judiciary as a political tool to pressure the opposition.

At a press conference, Imamoglu said the same expert witness had been appointed for several judicial probes into him and other district municipalities in Istanbul run by the CHP main opposition party, to which Imamoglu belongs.

The government dismisses accusations of political interference in the cases and says the judiciary is independent.

The new investigation, reported by the private Anka news agency and other Turkish media, comes a week after a judicial probe was launched against Imamoglu for criticising the Istanbul prosecutor for the brief detention of the CHP's youth branch head.

Imamoglu has already been sentenced in 2022 for insulting public officials when he criticised a decision to cancel the first round of earlier municipal elections, in which he defeated the ruling AK Party (AKP) candidate. He appealed against the sentence, but if it is upheld by higher courts he could be banned from politics for five years.

He was re-elected as mayor last year when Erdogan's AKP suffered its worst ever losses in municipal elections.

Reporting by Birsen Altayli

Related

Turkey

Low U.S. tariffs give Turkish goods a competitive boost

Turkey could gain a competitive edge in accessing the U.S. market following the United States’ decision to impose higher tariffs on goods from major trading partners while maintaining a relatively low baseline tariff on Turkish exports, according to Turkish Vice President Cevdet Yilmaz.

Turkey

“Best of the Worst”: Turkey hits back at U.S. tariffs

Turkey has expressed its intention to engage in direct talks with the United States to seek the removal of a 10% additional tariff imposed on Turkish goods under the trade measures announced by President Donald Trump, Trade Minister Omer Bolat said on Saturday.

Israel

Rubio discusses tariffs with Netanyahu, State Department says

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio discussed tariffs with Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the State Department said in a readout of their conversation on Friday, in the aftermath of a sweeping new tariff policy announced by the United States.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.

  • Analytics cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage.

  • We use marketing cookies to help us improve the relevancy of advertising campaigns you receive.