Syria
Israeli warplanes hit strategic military targets in Syria
Israel launched airstrikes on military airbases and infrastructure sites in the Syrian cities of Damascus, Hama and Homs on Wednesday, the Israeli military said.
The head of Jordan’s Civil Aviation Regulatory Commission (CARC) announced on Sunday that no decision has been made to resume flights from Amman to Damascus.
Royal Jordanian Airlines Airbus A320 © Mena Today
The head of Jordan’s Civil Aviation Regulatory Commission (CARC) announced on Sunday that no decision has been made to resume flights from Amman to Damascus.
This statement comes after the Syrian Civil Aviation Authority (SCAA) declared that international flights to Damascus International Airport would resume on Tuesday. Services at the airport had been suspended following the ousting of Bashar al-Assad’s regime last month.
Royal Jordanian Airlines, Jordan’s flagship carrier, has stated that current conditions in Syria do not meet safety standards. Other regional carriers, including Emirates and Qatar Airways, have also adopted a cautious stance, refraining from re-establishing routes to Damascus amid ongoing security concerns.
The primary challenge lies in the absence of a functioning national army in Syria. Security is now managed by various Islamist militias, whose reliability and effectiveness have been called into question.
This fragmented security apparatus has further complicated efforts to ensure the safety of civilian aviation.
While Syria has sought to project an image of stability with the reopening of its primary airport, the reluctance of major airlines to resume services underscores the deep challenges the country faces in regaining international trust.
The resumption of flights will likely depend on substantial improvements in security and a more cohesive approach to governance in post-Assad Syria.
By Antoine Khoury
Israel launched airstrikes on military airbases and infrastructure sites in the Syrian cities of Damascus, Hama and Homs on Wednesday, the Israeli military said.
U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has reinforced U.S. military capability in the Middle East with more warplanes, the Pentagon said on Tuesday, amid a more than two-week-old U.S. bombing campaign in Yemen and mounting tensions with Iran.
Turkey's government denounced opposition calls for a mass commercial boycott following the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu that sparked nationwide protests, describing them on Wednesday as an economic "sabotage attempt".
To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.
Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.