Skip to main content

Libya fully reopens major Ras Ijdir border crossing with Tunisia

1 min

Libya's interior minister in Tripoli said the major border crossing at Ras Ijdir with Tunisia was fully reopened on Monday three months after being shut due to armed clashes.

 Ras Ijdir border crossing © Mena Today 

Libya's interior minister in Tripoli said the major border crossing at Ras Ijdir with Tunisia was fully reopened on Monday three months after being shut due to armed clashes.

After calm returned to the region, the border crossing was partially reopened in mid-June though just for humanitarian and medical cases as well as special cases with permits from the Tunisian and Algerian interior ministries.

A number of ambulances from the Libyan side were seen heading into Tunisia during the reopening ceremony attended by the interior minister of Tripoli-based Government of National Unity, Emad Trabulsi, and his Tunisian counterpart Khaled Nouri.

"Two hours after this ceremony, Libyan citizens will be able to go to Tunisia," Trabulsi told journalists at the crossing.

Nouri said the crossing had been "reopened for all activities except smuggling".

Ras Ijdir is the main frontier crossing in Libya's west, often used by Libyans to go to Tunisia for medical treatment and Tunisian traders moving goods in the opposite direction.

Libya has enjoyed little peace since a 2011 uprising and is split between eastern and western factions, with rival administrations governing each area. The GNU, which controls Tripoli and northwestern parts of Libya, is recognised internationally but not by the eastern-based parliament.

Trabulsi called on Libyans living near the western border to support regional security forces "in order to combat smuggling and illegal migration".

He said Libya would open two new border crossings with Tunisia "if capabilities are provided". Besides Ras Ijdir, the two countries have a minor crossing at Wazen-Dhehiba that has remained open.

Writing by Ahmed Elumami

Related

Egypt

Egypt will halt summer load-shedding power cuts Sunday, PM says

Egypt will halt load-shedding power cuts during the summer as of Sunday, after some natural gas shipments arrived, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said on Wednesday, in a bid to end a crisis that inconvenienced a population of 106 million.

Sudan

More than 10 million people displaced by Sudan war, IOM says

More than 10 million Sudanese, or 20% of the population, have been driven from their homes since the war there began, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Tuesday, as the world's largest displacement crisis continues to worsen.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.