Skip to main content

Syrian army attack kills 9 civilians in rebel bastion: Monitor

1 min Mena Today

Syrian government bombardment on Saturday killed nine civilians.

The conflict has killed more than half a million people © Mena Today 

The conflict has killed more than half a million people © Mena Today 

Syrian government bombardment on Saturday killed nine civilians including six children as they harvested olives in northwestern Idlib province, the country's last main rebel bastion, a war monitor said.

"Ground bombardment by regime forces" struck the group "while they were picking olives in the village of Qoqfin," in Idlib province's mountainous Jabal al-Zawiya area, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Nine civilians "including a woman and six children" were killed and others wounded, some in serious condition, added the Britain-based monitor, which has a vast network of sources in Syria.

Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), led by al-Qaeda's former Syria branch, controls swathes of Idlib province and parts of the neighboring Aleppo, Hama and Latakia provinces.

HTS is considered a terrorist group by Damascus, as well as by the United States and the United Nations.

Bombardments and clashes were ongoing in the area before the group was hit on Saturday, the Observatory said, while HTS bombed nearby regime-controlled territory heavily after the fatal strike.

Civil war erupted in Syria after President Bashar al-Assad crushed peaceful anti-government protests in 2011.

The conflict has killed more than half a million people and displaced millions after spiralling into a devastating war involving foreign armies, militias and jihadists.

Syrian government forces intensified strikes on the Idlib bastion after an attack on a military academy in Homs killed scores early last month, according to the Observatory, in one of the bloodiest single attacks on government forces since the start of the war.

Related

Turkey

Israel warns of Turkish expansionism in Syria

Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria overnight, declaring the attacks a warning to the new Islamist rulers in Damascus as it accused their Turkish allies on Thursday of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.