Skip to main content

Tehran rejects abuse claims by French diplomats

1 min Mena Today

Two French diplomats at the centre of a dispute between France and Iran were not ill-treated by Iranian security personnel, according to an Iranian foreign ministry official quoted by state media on Wednesday.

France's Embassy in Tehran, Iran © IRIB

France's Embassy in Tehran, Iran © IRIB

Two French diplomats at the centre of a dispute between France and Iran were not ill-treated by Iranian security personnel, according to an Iranian foreign ministry official quoted by state media on Wednesday.

France has said that the diplomats in Tehran had their phones taken, were forbidden to contact the embassy and verbally intimidated, breaking international diplomatic conventions. One of the officials, the cultural attache, was hit.

The French foreign ministry on Tuesday summoned the Iranian charge d'affaires to protest the incident.

"France expects the Iranian authorities to shed light on this incident, punish the perpetrators, and ensure the security of its premises and personnel, in accordance with their international obligations," the French foreign ministry said on Tuesday.

According to Iranian Foreign Ministry official Mohammad Tanhaei, Iranian security personnel questioned two French embassy staff who held a meeting with individuals who are being investigated for security reasons.

"Security agents transferred the two individuals to the diplomatic police as soon as they realised their link to the French embassy," he was quoted as saying, adding that there was no intimidation.

France's foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

Earlier in the week, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot warned his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araqchi that the incident would not go without consequences.

Araqchi told Barrot that the actions of the diplomats were "unconventional and unprofessional," according to a Tuesday post on his Telegram account, without elaborating on what those actions were.

Araqchi also urged Paris to prevent similar incidents from recurring.

"Respecting the laws and regulations of the host country and adhering to recognised diplomatic principles and norms are necessary for the continuation of the activities of foreign missions," he said.

Reporting by Elwely Elwelly in Dubai and John Irish in Paris

Related

Iran

Tehran to host Pakistan's army chief for security talks

Pakistan's army chief Asim Munir will visit Tehran on Monday to continue efforts to bring peace and security to the region, Iran's foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said on Sunday, according to a statement by the ministry.

Qatar

Iran appeals to Qatar over health of detained pilots

An Iranian military official called on Qatar on Saturday to transfer detained Iranian pilots to a hospital on land, saying they were being held on water and were in "poor physical condition", Tasnim news agency reported.

Iran

US-Iran tensions escalate ahead of major sanctions push

The United States and Iran exchanged defiant messages ahead of Monday's scheduled announcement of new U.S. economic sanctions that could impact the Islamic Republic and Tehran's most important trading partners including China.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.