Skip to main content

Three Israelis killed in West Bank shooting attack

1 min Mena Today

Three Israelis were killed on Sunday when their vehicle came under fire near the city of Hebron in the West Bank, Israeli officials said.

Israeli forces stand guard near a shooting scene, near Hebron in the West Bank September 1, 2024. Reuters/Yosri Aljamal

Israeli forces stand guard near a shooting scene, near Hebron in the West Bank September 1, 2024. Reuters/Yosri Aljamal

Three Israelis were killed on Sunday when their vehicle came under fire near the city of Hebron in the West Bank, Israeli officials said.

The military confirmed the attack in the area of the Idna Tarqumiyah Junction, saying that security forces were searching for the assailants.

Hundreds of Israeli troops have been carrying out raids across the West Bank since last Wednesday in one of their largest actions in the area in months, which Israel says is aimed at rooting out Islamist militants.

The operation has drawn international calls for a halt.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said three policemen had been in the vehicle and were killed in Sunday's attack.

"We are fighting on all fronts against a cruel enemy who wants to murder us all," Netanyahu said, also referring to six Israeli hostages killed in captivity in Gaza and whose bodies were recovered from a tunnel on Sunday.

Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, a hardline member of Israel's security cabinet, called for more action against Palestinian militants in the West Bank.

"We need to do now what we didn't do that awful night and launch a pre-emptive strike and strike terrorism hard," he said, referring to Hamas' deadly Oct. 7 attack on Israel.

"We are committed to eliminating terrorism on all fronts," he said, speaking from the scene of Sunday's attack.

Israel's ambulance service had initially said two people had been killed and a third critically wounded.

Hamas, which is fighting a war with Israel in Gaza, praised the attack in the West Bank, but did not claim it, saying it was a "natural response to the massacres and genocide in the Gaza Strip".

"We call on all those who carry weapons to direct their bullets at the chests of the occupiers who continue to commit massacres against our people in Gaza Strip," the statement said.

Reporting by James Mackenzie and Steven Scheer in Jerusalem

Related

Gaza

Israeli forces intercept 39 Gaza aid boats, activists say

The organisers of a flotilla of aid vessels bound for Gaza said on Monday that Israeli forces had intercepted 39 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean, while the remaining ships were continuing to sail toward the enclave.

United Nations

Türk's genocide rhetoric: irresponsible, repetitive and dangerous

On October 7, 2023, Hamas terrorists stormed southern Israel and massacred 1,200 people, men, women, children, elderly, in the deadliest assault on Jewish people since the Holocaust. They took 250 hostages. They filmed their crimes with pride.

Lebanon

Truce extension fails to halt Israel-Hezbollah tensions

Israel carried out airstrikes in southern Lebanon on Monday, Lebanese security sources and the state news agency said, while Hezbollah announced new attacks on Israeli forces, continuing the war in Lebanon despite the extension of a U.S.-backed truce.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.