Skip to main content

Turkey arrests talent manager over trying to overthrow the government

1 min Mena Today

A Turkish court arrested a well-known talent manager over the charge of attempting to overthrow the government in an investigation connected to nationwide protests in 2013, a court document seen by Reuters showed.

Ayse Barim © Turk TV 

Ayse Barim © Turk TV 

A Turkish court arrested a well-known talent manager over the charge of attempting to overthrow the government in an investigation connected to nationwide protests in 2013, a court document seen by Reuters showed.

Ayse Barim was initially detained on Friday and eight actors were summoned to give statements to the court as witnesses in her file.

According to her statement to the prosecutor, Barim denied the charges and said she had been to the area of the 2013 protests a few times individually as an observer and to accompany the people she worked with.

Barim denied the charges and said she did not coordinate actors she is working with or request them to support the protests, the court document showed.

"My job as a manager is to manage the career of the actors I work with and represent them in the best possible way. These artists have their own ideas, wills and decisions. I did not organize anything by directing their ideas," Barim said, according to transcript of her statement.

In 2013, small demonstrations against plans to build a shopping mall in Gezi Park, in Istanbul's central Taksim Square, swelled into hundreds of thousands of people protesting against the government nationwide - and prompted a harsh crackdown.

According to the court, Barim had "intensive communication" with defendants in the Gezi Park trial at the time of the protests. These defendants include businessman Osman Kavala, who was sentenced to life in prison without parole in April 2022.

Kavala has faced various charges, including espionage, financing the Gezi Park protests and involvement in a failed coup against Erdogan's government in 2016. He has been in prison since November 2017.

Human rights groups say 11 people were killed and more than 8,000 injured in the state response, and more than 3,000 were arrested.

President Tayyip Erdogan's government said the crackdown was warranted given threats to the state, and he has called the protesters "looters" who were partly funded from abroad, a claim denied by defendants and civil society groups.

Reporting by Ezgi Erkoyun and Ece Toksabay

Related

Syria

Syria slams « Repeated » Israeli attacks

Syria denounced "repeated attacks" by Israel on Saturday after a drone strike hit the south of the country in the morning, just days after Israel bombed a military base in the northwest, with an Israeli minister separately rejecting American criticism over that earlier operation.

Turkey

Ankara's futile bid to put Netanyahu on Interpol's radar

Turkey said on Friday it would seek an Interpol red notice for the arrest of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as part of a domestic criminal case linked to an attack on activists seeking to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza.

Iran

US readies unprecedented sanctions campaign against Iran

The U.S. will impose "the toughest sanctions in history" on Iran, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said on Friday, a focus on economic measures he suggested would lessen the need for new major military operations against Tehran.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.