Skip to main content

Vessel suspiciously approached by drones west of Saudi Arabia's Jizan; ship and crew safe - UKMTO

1 min Mena Today

Two drones followed a merchant vessel in the Red Sea, west of Saudi Arabia's Jizan, in a suspicious approach, but the ship continued its journey safely, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) agency said on Monday.

The Iran-aligned Yemeni Houthis have carried out repeated drone and missile strikes since November in the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandab Strait © Oceanus 

The Iran-aligned Yemeni Houthis have carried out repeated drone and missile strikes since November in the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandab Strait © Oceanus 

Two drones followed a merchant vessel in the Red Sea, west of Saudi Arabia's Jizan, in a suspicious approach, but the ship continued its journey safely, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) agency said on Monday.

The two Uncrewed Aerial Systems (UAS) followed the vessel for about 30 minutes, UKMTO said in an advisory note.

"The UAS were assessed to be at a height of 100 m above the vessel and are now reported to have cleared the area. Vessel and crew are safe," the note said.

The Iran-aligned Yemeni Houthis have carried out repeated drone and missile strikes since November in the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandab Strait, saying they are acting in solidarity with Palestinians in the Gaza war.

U.S. and British forces have responded with multiple strikes on Houthi facilities but have so far failed to halt the attacks.

Reporting by Hatem Maher and Adam Makary

Related

Lebanon

Most Lebanese communities back peace with Israel

A new poll conducted between April 28 and May 5 reveals a striking picture of Lebanese public opinion on a potential peace agreement with Israel: across most of the country's major religious communities, support is either strong or majority, with one dramatic exception.

Gaza

Trump-appointed Gaza Board calls for quicker disbursement

The gap between funding pledges and disbursement for Donald Trump's Gaza rebuilding plan must be closed urgently, the U.S. president's "Board of Peace" has said in a report, identifying a potential cash crunch in a plan estimated to cost $70 billion.

Gaza

Majority of the fleet was intercepted

The organisers of an aid flotilla bound for Gaza said on Tuesday Israeli forces had intercepted 41 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean, with 10 vessels still sailing toward the enclave.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.