Skip to main content

An opportunistic approach to foreign policy

1 min Mena Today

 Spain has requested to intervene in South Africa's genocide case against Israel's actions in Gaza at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares said on Thursday.

Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares, Reuters/Kaylee Greenlee Beal

Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares, Reuters/Kaylee Greenlee Beal

 Spain has requested to intervene in South Africa's genocide case against Israel's actions in Gaza at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares said on Thursday.

Spain joins a small number of other countries that have said they wish to intervene including Ireland, which along with Spain and Norway officially recognised a Palestinian state last week.

Albares said Madrid wanted to support the ICJ in its implementation of measures including an order to Israel to cease its military operation in Rafah in southern Gaza, but gave few details of what its requested intervention would entail.

"We are doing it (requesting to intervene) because of our commitment to international law, in our desire to support the court in its work and strengthen the United Nations, supporting the role of the court as the maximum legal entity in the system," he told a press conference in Madrid.

"We want to support the court in the implementation of the precautionary measures, in particular the cessation of military operations in Rafah in order to restore peace, the cessation of obstacles to the entry of humanitarian aid and the cessation of the destruction of civilian infrastructure."

The ICJ is the highest United Nations legal body, established in 1945 to deal with disputes between states.

The ICJ judges' order to Israel last month to immediately halt its military assault on Rafah was a landmark emergency ruling following South Africa's decision to bring a case against Israel accusing it of genocide.

Israel has repeatedly dismissed the case's accusations of genocide as baseless, arguing in court that its operations in Gaza are self-defence and targeted at Hamas militants who attacked Israel on Oct. 7. It says it is trying to root out Hamas fighters in Rafah.

The socialist government has taken a radically hostile stance towards Israel in recent months.

Jose Manuel Albares does not mention Hamas, an organization classified as terrorist by the European Union.

The Spanish Foreign Minister also does not address the fate of the Israeli hostages held in Gaza since October 7, including women and children.

The position adopted by Pedro Sánchez's government is not conducive to achieving peace in the Middle East. An opportunistic posture.

By Stephen Elrick 

Related

Lebanon

France's Lebanon envoy: lots of words, little leverage

Lebanon is facing threats to both its unity and territorial integrity, French presidential envoy Jean-Yves Le Drian warned Thursday, pointing to Israeli occupation of Lebanese territory in the south and Hezbollah's grip on the rest as twin threats to the country's survival as a coherent state.

Iran

Iran reviewing fresh US response

Iran said on Thursday it was reviewing Washington's latest position on ending the war after U.S. President Donald Trump suggested he was prepared to wait a few days to "get the right answers" from Tehran but warned of renewed attacks if it did not agree to a deal.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.