Skip to main content

French kidnappings suspect arrested in Morocco, police source says

1 min Mena Today

A French-Moroccan man suspected of being involved in recent violent kidnappings in France has been arrested in Morocco, a senior Moroccan police source said on Wednesday.

Moroccan security services assisted in the arrest © Mena Today 

Moroccan security services assisted in the arrest © Mena Today 

A French-Moroccan man suspected of being involved in recent violent kidnappings in France has been arrested in Morocco, a senior Moroccan police source said on Wednesday.

French Justice Minister Gerald Darmanin thanked Morocco for the arrest in a post on X.

The 24-year-old man named by the Moroccan police source as Bajjou Badiss Mohamed Amine was subject to an Interpol red notice and wanted by France on charges including organised crime, kidnapping, ransom demand and detention of a hostage.

The police source said that since Bajjou is a dual national, he will not be extradited and will be tried in Morocco under the charges he is facing in France.

The police source added Moroccan authorities received from French counterparts details of the charges so that the man can face justice in Morocco.

The Paris prosecutor's office did not respond to a Reuters request for comment.

Ties between Morocco and France have improved in recent months, including on judicial and security cooperation, after Paris tilted towards backing Rabat's position on the Western Sahara conflict.

Reporting by Sudip Kar-Gupta, Dominique Vidalon

Related

Morocco

Ceuta calls for urgent transfer of migrant minors

Spain's Ceuta, still reeling from a rush of 72,000 migrants arriving on its shores in one week, is seeking the transfer of hundreds of unaccompanied minors still in the enclave to mainland Spain, local leaders said on Wednesday.

Libya

Libya prison break as armed clashes erupt

Libyan police said inmates staged a mass escape from a jail on Tuesday while armed clashes erupted nearby in two cities west of the capital Tripoli.

Morocco

Morocco says Spain misjudged impact of court ruling

Spanish authorities should have anticipated the consequences of a court ruling that weakened a key deterrent against illegal migration and contributed to last week's mass crossings into the enclave of Ceuta in northern Morocco, a senior Moroccan official said on Monday.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.