Skip to main content

Gaza aid flotilla halted after vessels flag removed, activists say

1 min Mena Today

A humanitarian aid flotilla destined for Gaza was halted after Guinea Bissau decided to remove its flag from two vessels, activist group Freedom Flotilla Coalition said on Saturday.

The three-strong flotilla had been due to sail on Friday from ports in Turkey with more than 5,000 tonnes of aid on board

The three-strong flotilla had been due to sail on Friday from ports in Turkey with more than 5,000 tonnes of aid on board

A humanitarian aid flotilla destined for Gaza was halted after Guinea Bissau decided to remove its flag from two vessels, activist group Freedom Flotilla Coalition said on Saturday.

"The Guinea-Bissau International Ships Registry (GBISR), in a blatantly political move, informed the Freedom Flotilla Coalition that it had withdrawn the Guinea Bissau flag from two of the Freedom Flotilla's ships, one of which is our cargo ship," the activists said.

The three-strong flotilla had been due to sail on Friday from ports in Turkey with more than 5,000 tonnes of aid on board, the activists said, and described the inspection and request by Guinea Bissau authorities as unusual and political.

GBISR was not immediately available for comment.

The Turkish Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH) is the primary organizer of the civilian Freedom Flotilla Coalition, which is comprised of human rights activists, including lawyers, doctors and nurses who came together to deliver aid directly to Gaza.

"Without a flag, we cannot sail. But, this is not the end. Israel cannot and will not crush our resolve to break its illegal siege and reach the people of Gaza," the activists said.

Reporting by Omer Berberoglu

Tags

Related

Turkey

Low U.S. tariffs give Turkish goods a competitive boost

Turkey could gain a competitive edge in accessing the U.S. market following the United States’ decision to impose higher tariffs on goods from major trading partners while maintaining a relatively low baseline tariff on Turkish exports, according to Turkish Vice President Cevdet Yilmaz.

Turkey

“Best of the Worst”: Turkey hits back at U.S. tariffs

Turkey has expressed its intention to engage in direct talks with the United States to seek the removal of a 10% additional tariff imposed on Turkish goods under the trade measures announced by President Donald Trump, Trade Minister Omer Bolat said on Saturday.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.