Skip to main content

Hezbollah says Lebanon cabinet decision to seek state monopoly on arms is 'grave sin'

2 min Mena Today

Hezbollah said on Wednesday the Lebanese government was committing a "grave sin" by tasking the army with establishing a state monopoly on arms, sharpening a national divide over calls for the Shi'ite Muslim group to disarm.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun, Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam and members of the Lebanese cabinet meet to discuss efforts to bring all weapons in the country under the control of the state, at the Presidential Palace in Baabda, Lebanon August 5, 2025. Reuters/Emilie Madi

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun, Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam and members of the Lebanese cabinet meet to discuss efforts to bring all weapons in the country under the control of the state, at the Presidential Palace in Baabda, Lebanon August 5, 2025. Reuters/Emilie Madi

Hezbollah said on Wednesday the Lebanese government was committing a "grave sin" by tasking the army with establishing a state monopoly on arms, sharpening a national divide over calls for the Shi'ite Muslim group to disarm.

Despite unprecedented pressure from Washington and from its domestic rivals, the Iran-backed group has refused to fully relinquish its arsenal, which it retained after Lebanon's civil war ended in 1990 even as other militias disarmed.

Now, the U.S. has demanded Lebanon's cabinet explicitly pledge to strip Hezbollah of its weapons - a move that risks reigniting tensions in Lebanon, a nation of multiple sects where Hezbollah retains significant support among Shi'ites.

The cabinet on Tuesday tasked the Lebanese army with drawing up a plan to confine arms across the country to six official security forces by year's end.

Hezbollah rejected the decision in a written statement on Wednesday, saying it was a result of U.S. "diktats" and that it would "deal with it as if it does not exist".

"The government of Prime Minister Nawaf Salam committed a grave sin by taking a decision to strip Lebanon of its weapons to resist the Israeli enemy... This decision fully serves Israel's interest," the group said.

The statement said Shi'ite ministers walked out of the cabinet session before the decision was reached as "an expression of the resistance's (Hezbollah's) rejection of this decision".

The group said it remained ready to discuss a broader national security strategy and called on its supporters to remain patient.

WAR WITH ISRAEL

The session at Lebanon's presidential palace was the first time the cabinet addressed Hezbollah's weapons - unimaginable when the group was at the zenith of its power before a devastating war with Israel last year.

A U.S.-brokered ceasefire between Lebanon and Israel in November ended that conflict, called on Lebanon to confiscate all "unauthorized" weapons across the country and said Israel would stop offensive operations against Lebanese targets.

But Israel has kept its troops at five points in Lebanon's southern border region and has continued air strikes against what it says are Hezbollah fighters and arms depots.

In June, the U.S. submitted a roadmap to Lebanese officials that proposed Hezbollah fully disarm in exchange for Israel withdrawing its troops and halting its strikes.

Hezbollah and its main ally, the Amal Movement led by parliament speaker Nabih Berri, have demanded the order be reversed, saying Israel must halt its strikes before any discussion on weapons can be held.

On Wednesday, Amal said Lebanon's government should focus on consolidating the November ceasefire and said the next cabinet session on Thursday would be a chance to correct course.

Ministers will meet again on Thursday to continue discussions on the U.S. proposal.

Imad Salamey, chairman of the Lebanese-American University's Department of Political and International Studies, said the country's Shi'ite community, hit hardest by last year's war, was now concerned that relinquishing Hezbollah's arms would leave them vulnerable to further Israeli attacks.

"We are most probably going into a polarized political landscape," he told Reuters.

Reporting by Maya Gebeily and Laila Bassam

 

Related

Lebanon

UNIFIL to end its mission in December 2026

The United Nations Security Council unanimously adopted Resolution 2790 today (28 Aug). The resolution renews the mandate of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), for a final time until 31 December 2026, and “to start an orderly and safe drawdown and withdrawal from 31 December 2026 and within one year.”

Iran

Europeans launch UN sanctions process on Iran, letter says

Britain, France and Germany launched a 30-day process to reimpose U.N. sanctions on Iran over its nuclear programme on Thursday, a step likely to stoke tensions two months after Israel and the United States bombed Iran, according to a letter sent by E3 to the U.N. Security Council seen by Reuters.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.