Iran
Force without understanding: Why Washington still misreads Tehran
For more than four decades, the United States has struggled to develop a coherent strategy toward the Islamic Republic of Iran.
The commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guards said on Tuesday that the Islamic Republic had not been weakened following the fall of its ally Bashar al-Assad in Syria, Iranian media reported.
Hossein Salami © TOI
The commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guards said on Tuesday that the Islamic Republic had not been weakened following the fall of its ally Bashar al-Assad in Syria, Iranian media reported.
"We have not been weakened and Iran's power has not diminished," Hossein Salami was quoted as telling members of parliament in a closed session.
Iran and Russia had propped up Assad's rule since Syria's civil war erupted in 2011 with military support, men and airpower. Tehran deployed its Revolutionary Guards to Syria to keep its ally in power to maintain Tehran's "Axis of Resistance" to Israel and U.S. influence in the Middle East.
Assad's exit has eroded Tehran's ability to project power and sustain its network of militia groups across the region, particularly to its ally Hezbollah in Lebanon, which agreed a ceasefire with Israel last month.
"The overthrow of the Zionist regime (Israel) is not off the agenda," Salami said in the session which met to discuss the latest developments in Syria.
Salami said no Iranian forces remained in Syria.
Following Assad's fall from power, Iran's foreign ministry called for a national dialogue to form an inclusive government representing all segments of Syrian society.
Iran's government spokesperson Fatemeh Mohajerani on Tuesday called for "respect for Syria's territorial integrity", saying the Syrian people should decide their own fate.
By Dubai Newsroom
For more than four decades, the United States has struggled to develop a coherent strategy toward the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Iran and the United States have differing views over the scope and mechanism to lift sanctions on Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear programme, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that new talks were planned in early March.
Tensions between Washington and Tehran are escalating sharply as President Donald Trump openly questions why Iran has not “capitulated” under mounting U.S. military pressure aimed at forcing a new nuclear agreement.
To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.
Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.