Iran
The Iran deal that could become a nightmare for Israel
There are bad deals. There are weak deals. And then there are deals that dress surrender as diplomacy, and ask Israel to applaud while the knife is being sharpened.
The United States and Iran received the framework of a plan to end hostilities, but Iran rejected immediately reopening the Strait of Hormuz, after President Donald Trump threatened to rain "hell" on Tehran if it did not make a deal the end of Tuesday.
Anwar Gargash, adviser to the UAE president © Mena Today
The United States and Iran received the framework of a plan to end hostilities, but Iran rejected immediately reopening the Strait of Hormuz, after President Donald Trump threatened to rain "hell" on Tehran if it did not make a deal the end of Tuesday.
The peace plan involves a two-tier approach with an immediate ceasefire followed by a comprehensive agreement to be finalised within 15-20 days, a source aware of the proposals said on Monday.
Pakistan's army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, has been in contact "all night long" with U.S. Vice President JD Vance, special envoy Steve Witkoff and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, the source said.
Iran won't reopen the Strait as part of a temporary ceasefire, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday, adding that Iran won't accept deadlines as it reviews the proposal. Washington lacks the readiness for a permanent ceasefire, the official said.
Axios first reported on Sunday that the U.S., Iran and regional mediators were discussing a potential 45-day ceasefire as part of a two-phase deal that could lead to a permanent end to the war, citing U.S., Israeli and regional sources.
Anwar Gargash, an adviser to the UAE president, said any settlement must guarantee access through the Strait of Hormuz.
He warned that a deal that failed to rein in Iran’s nuclear programme and its missiles and drones would pave the way for "a more dangerous, more volatile Middle East".
Writing by Stephen Coates and Charlie Devereux
There are bad deals. There are weak deals. And then there are deals that dress surrender as diplomacy, and ask Israel to applaud while the knife is being sharpened.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday he had told his representatives not to rush into any deal with Iran, appearing to dampen hopes of an imminent breakthrough in the three-month-old war that had been raised by both sides a day earlier.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told U.S. President Donald Trump Israel would remain free to act against threats in Lebanon during a phone call about an emerging agreement between Washington and Iran on Saturday, an Israeli source said.
To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.
Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.