Skip to main content

Lebanon waits for Washington to set the date for Israel talks

1 min Antoine Khoury

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said Wednesday that Lebanon is waiting for the United States to set a date for the start of formal negotiations with Israel, as the two countries navigate a delicate diplomatic process that has already yielded two rounds of preparatory talks in Washington.

The Lebanese president's statement reflects a carefully calibrated position © Mena Today 

The Lebanese president's statement reflects a carefully calibrated position © Mena Today 

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said Wednesday that Lebanon is waiting for the United States to set a date for the start of formal negotiations with Israel, as the two countries navigate a delicate diplomatic process that has already yielded two rounds of preparatory talks in Washington.

Those meetings, between the Israeli and Lebanese ambassadors, facilitated by American mediators, have so far produced a ten-day ceasefire that entered into force on 17 April, subsequently extended by three weeks following a second round of discussions. It marks the first direct contact between the two countries since 1983.

But Aoun was clear that talks cannot progress while violations of the truce continue. "Israel must definitively understand that the only path to security is through negotiations, but it must first fully implement the ceasefire before moving on to negotiations," he said. "Israeli aggressions cannot be allowed to continue after the ceasefire announcement."

The Lebanese president's statement reflects a carefully calibrated position: openness to dialogue, but conditioned on Israeli compliance with the terms already agreed. It also signals Beirut's awareness that Washington holds the key to unlocking the next phase, and that Lebanon intends to hold both Israel and the United States to their commitments.

For a country that has endured decades of conflict and instability, the prospect of a negotiated arrangement with Israel represents both an extraordinary opportunity and a profound political risk  one that Aoun appears determined to manage on Lebanon's own terms.

Antoine Khoury

Antoine Khoury

Antoine Khoury is based in Beirut and has been reporting for Mena Today for the past year. He covers news from Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and Turkey, and is widely regarded as one of the region’s leading experts

Related

Lebanon

Most Lebanese communities back peace with Israel

A new poll conducted between April 28 and May 5 reveals a striking picture of Lebanese public opinion on a potential peace agreement with Israel: across most of the country's major religious communities, support is either strong or majority, with one dramatic exception.

Gaza

Majority of the fleet was intercepted

The organisers of an aid flotilla bound for Gaza said on Tuesday Israeli forces had intercepted 41 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean, with 10 vessels still sailing toward the enclave.

Gaza

Israeli forces intercept 39 Gaza aid boats, activists say

The organisers of a flotilla of aid vessels bound for Gaza said on Monday that Israeli forces had intercepted 39 of their boats in the eastern Mediterranean, while the remaining ships were continuing to sail toward the enclave.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.