Skip to main content

Rescue effort underway after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia

1 min Mena Today

At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat sank off the Tunisian coast while sailing towards Italy and two people have been rescued, the head of a migrant rights group said on Saturday.

Mediterranean tragedy: 13 Tunisians missing at sea © Mena Today 

Mediterranean tragedy: 13 Tunisians missing at sea © Mena Today 

At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat sank off the Tunisian coast while sailing towards Italy and two people have been rescued, the head of a migrant rights group said on Saturday.

The boat, which set off early on Thursday, was carrying mostly young people, including seven members of the same family, as well as a man and his pregnant wife, Mostafa Abdelkebir, the head of the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights, told Reuters.

The central Mediterranean route from the North African coast is one of the world's deadliest migration routes, used by migrants from Africa and the Middle East seeking to reach Europe, often in overcrowded or unseaworthy boats.

One of the two survivors told rescuers they had been stranded at sea for hours after their vessel capsized. The second survivor was in critical condition, said Abdelkebir, whose group monitors migration issues.

National Guard spokesperson Houssem Eddine Jebabli said coastguard units, backed by an aircraft and naval units, were conducting search operations for the missing migrants.

Abdelkebir said four bodies had been recovered, but it could not be confirmed whether they were migrants from the same boat.

Tunisia was once a major departure point for migrants crossing the Mediterranean, but departures have fallen sharply over the past two years amid a crackdown and tighter maritime controls, backed by European funding and modern border-monitoring equipment, particularly from Italy.

Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and dozens of other human rights and humanitarian groups said in a statement last month that the EU-Tunisia migration deal had fuelled and normalised serious abuses against migrants and asylum seekers in Tunisia.

The groups called on the EU to suspend funding for migration and border-control activities involving Tunisian security forces.

Tunisia has not commented on the statement but has repeatedly said it is bearing the brunt of a major migration influx. President Kais Saied said in 2023 that the influx was aimed at changing the country's demographic makeup.

By Tarek Amara

Tags

Related

Tunisia

Economic pain fuels fresh protests against Tunisia's president

Activists and opponents of Tunisian President Kais Saied took to the streets of Tunis on Thursday, calling for his departure and the restoration of democracy in the latest protest against his governance amid growing political and economic discontent.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.