Skip to main content

Saudi king heads cabinet meeting after medical treatment, state media say

1 min Mena Today

Saudi Arabia's King Salman chaired a cabinet meeting on Tuesday, state media said, the first time the monarch was reported to have carried out official duties since receiving medical treatment more than a week ago.

Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz, Courtesy of Bandar Algaloud/Saudi Royal Court/Handout via Reuters

Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz, Courtesy of Bandar Algaloud/Saudi Royal Court/Handout via Reuters

Saudi Arabia's King Salman chaired a cabinet meeting on Tuesday, state media said, the first time the monarch was reported to have carried out official duties since receiving medical treatment more than a week ago.

The 88-year-old king, custodian of Islam's holiest sites, became ruler of the world's top oil exporter in 2015. He was previously crown prince and deputy premier.

King Salman was seen in photographs heading the weekly cabinet meeting, held by video conference. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, along with ministers, could be seen in the photographs in attendance.

At the beginning of the meeting, the king thanked the Saudi people for their well-wishes and kind prayers.

"He also expressed his appreciation for everyone who sent him their wishes of health and wellness from the leaders of brotherly and friendly countries, asking the Almighty God to grant everyone good health and happiness," according to the cabinet statement, carried by the state news agency.

It previously reported that King Salman was to receive medical care for lung inflammation. Prince Mohammed later postponed an official visit to Japan due to the king's health. Sources previously told Reuters the crown prince was also scheduled to visit China.

State TV broadcast footage of King Salman chairing the meeting, whose participants also included Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman.

Reporting by Nayera Abdallah and Tala Ramadan

Related

Turkey

Israel warns of Turkish expansionism in Syria

Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria overnight, declaring the attacks a warning to the new Islamist rulers in Damascus as it accused their Turkish allies on Thursday of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.