Skip to main content

The Lebanese prime minister's short-sighted vision

1 min

Lebanon's caretaker prime minister, Najib Mikati, has said Israeli air strikes have turned southern Lebanon into a "devastated agricultural area".

View of the town of Metula in Israel and the town of Marjayoun in Lebanon, both situated on the Israeli-Lebanese border © Mena Today 

Lebanon's caretaker prime minister, Najib Mikati, has said Israeli air strikes have turned southern Lebanon into a "devastated agricultural area".

Israel and the Iranian-backed Lebanese armed group Hezbollah have been trading fire across Israel's northern border since war erupted in Gaza, with Hezbollah firing rockets and Israel launching air strikes and artillery shells.

The Israeli strikes have burned tens of thousands of olive trees and torched farmland across southern Lebanon, hurting herders and farmers already suffering from a deep economic crisis that has made it even more important for Lebanon to produce its own food.

"Eight hundred hectares have been completely damaged, 340,000 heads of livestock have died, and about 75% of farmers have lost their final source of income," Lebanon's National News Agency quoted Mikati as saying.

"This problem will extend to the coming years."

Agriculture Minister Abbas Hajj Hassan sounded the alarm last month, saying the Israeli strikes were preventing farmers in villages and towns near the border reaching their fields, affecting up to 30% of Lebanon's agricultural output.

Najib Mikati conveniently forgets to mention that the fighting and destruction are the consequences of attacks carried out by Hezbollah since last October.

Not a word from the Lebanese Prime Minister to condemn the Shiite militia backed by Iran.

The Israeli border area has become a war zone emptied of its population for 6 months.

All agricultural and industrial activities have come to a halt, with losses estimated at several billion dollars.

Mikati should ask his Iranian friends to compel Hezbollah to stop the attacks.

Reporting by Adam Makary, Clauda Tanios and Mena Today 

Related

Egypt

Egypt still committed to Gaza truce talks, say sources

Egypt remains committed to helping negotiate a ceasefire and hostage release deal in Gaza despite doubts about its mediation role, and it is in touch with Israel about setting dates for new talks, two Egyptian security sources said on Thursday.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.