Skip to main content

Tunisian minister of Religious Affairs fired after 49 pilgrims die in Mecca

1 min

Tunisian President Kais Saied has dismissed Minister of Religious Affairs Brahim Chaïbi following the death of dozens of Tunisians during the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia, which took place under extreme heat conditions.

Since Saudi Arabia introduced tourist visas in 2019, many pilgrims have sought to bypass official channels © Mena Today 

Tunisian President Kais Saied has dismissed Minister of Religious Affairs Brahim Chaïbi following the death of dozens of Tunisians during the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia, which took place under extreme heat conditions.

In a brief statement, the presidency did not specify the reasons for Chaïbi's dismissal, which occurred shortly after the Hajj concluded on Wednesday. According to a recent tally by Tunisian media, at least 49 Tunisian pilgrims, most of whom did not have official permits, died primarily due to the severe temperatures. This figure was updated from an earlier official report on Tuesday, which cited 35 deaths.

These Tunisians are among the 1,100 pilgrims reported dead by various countries, either officially or through diplomatic channels involved in locating the victims.

Brahim Chaïbi, who holds a PhD in Islamic jurisprudence, had been serving as the Minister of Religious Affairs since October 2021.

Saudi Arabia allocates permits to Muslim countries based on quotas, and these permits are often distributed through lotteries in countries like Egypt. 

Pilgrims who secure permits must then use accredited service providers, which are typically expensive.

Since Saudi Arabia introduced tourist visas in 2019, many pilgrims have sought to bypass official channels, contributing to the high number of unauthorized pilgrims.

Related

Egypt

Egypt will halt summer load-shedding power cuts Sunday, PM says

Egypt will halt load-shedding power cuts during the summer as of Sunday, after some natural gas shipments arrived, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said on Wednesday, in a bid to end a crisis that inconvenienced a population of 106 million.

Sudan

More than 10 million people displaced by Sudan war, IOM says

More than 10 million Sudanese, or 20% of the population, have been driven from their homes since the war there began, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Tuesday, as the world's largest displacement crisis continues to worsen.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.