Skip to main content

UAE and Azerbaijan sign $5 billion agreement for Nagorno-Karabakh demining

1 min Mena Today

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Republic of Azerbaijan have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) worth US$5 billion aimed at supporting demining operations in the Nagorno-Karabakh region.

 

The UAE has previously contributed to demining efforts in several countries, including Iraq, Lebanon, and Afghanistan © Mena Today 

The UAE has previously contributed to demining efforts in several countries, including Iraq, Lebanon, and Afghanistan © Mena Today 

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Republic of Azerbaijan have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) worth US$5 billion aimed at supporting demining operations in the Nagorno-Karabakh region.

The MoU was signed by Mohammed Murad Al Blooshi, the UAE Ambassador to Azerbaijan, and Vugar Suleymanov, Chairman of the Board of the Mine Action Agency of Azerbaijan (ANAMA).

This collaborative initiative will focus on clearing landmines in Nagorno-Karabakh, an area severely impacted by the aftermath of the 2020 conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia.

The UAE has previously contributed to demining efforts in several countries, including Iraq, Lebanon, and Afghanistan, through financial support for demining projects and the rehabilitation of affected regions.

The UAE’s partnership with Azerbaijan in demining efforts is part of its broader goal to foster impactful, sustainable partnerships that promote humanitarian security and global sustainability.

Related

United Arab Emirates

Financial embargo puts UAE-Iran feud back in the spotlight

The United Arab Emirates' decision to suspend all financial and economic transactions with Iran until further notice, citing a military escalation by Tehran with a missile threat, has refocused the spotlight on fraught ties between the major Gulf Arab oil producer and Iran.

United Arab Emirates

UAE blames Iran for missile attack

The UAE's defense ministry said on Tuesday that it detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran against the Gulf country.

Iran

Trump hardens Iran stance with threat against Oman

President Donald Trump said on Monday that Iran would not make the deal he thinks is needed to end a war with the U.S. and should surrender as talks between the countries remained stalled.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.