Skip to main content

UN special envoy urges Syria's participation in constitutional talks

1 min Mena Today

Geir Pedersen, the United Nations special envoy for Syria, urged Damascus on Sunday to join a new round of talks in Geneva at the end of April regarding the revision of the country's constitution, more than 13 years after the onset of the conflict.

Fayçal Meqdad

Fayçal Meqdad

Geir Pedersen, the United Nations special envoy for Syria, urged Damascus on Sunday to join a new round of talks in Geneva at the end of April regarding the revision of the country's constitution, more than 13 years after the onset of the conflict.

The war in Syria, which began in 2011 with the crackdown on pro-democracy protests, has resulted in over 507,000 deaths and displaced more than seven million people within the country, plunging it into a deep economic and humanitarian crisis.

"The situation in Syria is extremely difficult today, and I believe all indicators are pointing in the wrong direction regarding security, the economy, and the political process," Pedersen stated to the press after meeting with Syrian Foreign Minister Fayçal Meqdad in Damascus.

"We should continue to convene in Geneva and advance the work of the Constitutional Committee in order to give hope to the Syrian people," added the UN envoy, who serves as a mediator in discussions between government representatives, opposition groups, and civil society.

Established in Geneva in 2019, the Constitutional Committee aims to rewrite the constitution, potentially paving the way for a broader political process. However, in recent years, negotiations have been largely overshadowed by parallel discussions involving Turkey, which supports rebels in Syria, and Russia and Iran, allies of Damascus.

Talks in Geneva were suspended in 2022 after Moscow contested holding the meeting in Switzerland, questioning its neutrality after it imposed sanctions on Russia due to the war in Ukraine.

Last month, Pedersen extended invitations for a meeting in Geneva at the end of April, warning that "an indefinite pause can only harm the credibility and work" of the Constitutional Committee. On Sunday, the diplomat said he reiterated this invitation during his meeting with Meqdad.

Related

Iran

Iran reviewing fresh US response

Iran said on Thursday it was reviewing Washington's latest position on ending the war after U.S. President Donald Trump suggested he was prepared to wait a few days to "get the right answers" from Tehran but warned of renewed attacks if it did not agree to a deal.

Oman

Iran and Oman discuss Strait of Hormuz coordination

Iran is seeking to establish a mechanism with Oman to ensure sustainable security in the Strait of Hormuz, Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei told state TV on Wednesday.

Turkey

Erdogan says Iran disputes can be resolved through talks

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan told U.S. President Donald Trump in a call on Wednesday he welcomed the extension of a ceasefire between the U.S. and Iran, adding he believed contested issues between the sides could be resolved, according to the Turkish presidency.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.