Skip to main content

US withdrawing all forces from Syria, WSJ reports

1 min Mena Today

The United States is in the process of withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday, citing three U.S. officials.

A U.S. military vehicle moves on a road on the day of a meeting between the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) leaders and U.S. military leaders, in Deir Hafer, Syria. January 16, 2026. Reuters/Orhan Qereman

A U.S. military vehicle moves on a road on the day of a meeting between the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) leaders and U.S. military leaders, in Deir Hafer, Syria. January 16, 2026. Reuters/Orhan Qereman

The United States is in the process of withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday, citing three U.S. officials.

Reuters could not immediately verify the report.

Last week, the U.S. military said it completed a withdrawal from a strategic base in Syria, handing it over to Syrian forces, in the latest sign of strengthening U.S.-Syrian ties that could enable an even larger American drawdown.

The Journal said that troops will withdraw from the remaining U.S. locations in Syria over the next two months.

Reporting by Mrinmay Dey

Tags

Related

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.