Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, Vice President and Ruler of Dubai, on Friday announced that plans for the Blue Line had been approved.
Sheikh Mohammed said the project, described as the emirate's “largest new project in the public transport sector”, would cost Dh18 billion ($4.9 billion).
“Stretching 30 kilometres, half of it underground at depths reaching 70 metres, the project costs Dh18 billion,” he said.
“It covers areas with a population of one million residents, such as Dubai Creek Harbour, Festival City, Global Village, Rashidiya, Warqa, and Mirdif, as well as urban areas like Silicon Oasis, Academic City, and more.”
The Blue Line consists of nine elevated stations and five underground stations. It will offer a direct connection between Dubai International Airport and nine areas including Mirdif, Al Warqa, International City 1 and 2, Dubai Silicon Oasis, Academic City, Ras Al Khor Industrial Area, Dubai Creek Harbour and Dubai Festival City.
The travel time between these destinations is expected to range from 10 minutes to 25 minutes.
The Blue Line aims to serve about 200,000 passengers daily by 2030, with this projected to rise to 320,000 by 2040.
By 2029, an estimated 50,000 university students from Academic City are expected to use the service.
Sheikh Mohamed emphasised that national talents have proven their ability to spearhead the development.
“Remarkable achievements don't happen by chance; rather, they result from deliberate planning, creative thinking and a commitment to attaining the highest level of leadership. The true measure of achievement lies in its positive impact on society,” he said.
“We strive for the best for our society, sparing no effort to achieve it at the highest standards.”