Iran
Iran to boycott World Cup draw over US visa dispute
Iran is to boycott next week's draw for the 2026 soccer World Cup in the United States in protest at the limited allocation of visas, the Iranian football federation said on Friday.
Iran's Foreign Ministry on Monday threatened Tehran "will use all its options" to respond to the assassination of senior Revolutionary Guards officer Abbas Nilforoushan, who was killed alongside former Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah in an Israeli airstrike on Beirut last month.
Abbas Nilforoushan © INM
Iran's Foreign Ministry on Monday threatened Tehran "will use all its options" to respond to the assassination of senior Revolutionary Guards officer Abbas Nilforoushan, who was killed alongside former Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah in an Israeli airstrike on Beirut last month.
Nilforoushan’s funeral procession began Monday in Iraq and will continue over the coming days in Iran.
Iran is to boycott next week's draw for the 2026 soccer World Cup in the United States in protest at the limited allocation of visas, the Iranian football federation said on Friday.
The head of Hezbollah, Naim Qassem, said on Friday that the group reserves the right to respond to Israel’s killing of its top military commander, while leaving open the possibility of a future conflict.
Lebanon started its 2027 FIBA Basketball World Cup qualifying campaign with a narrow but valuable victory, defeating hosts Qatar 75–74 on Thursday in Lusail.
To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.
Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.