Skip to main content

JD Vance reports major progress in Iran negotiations

1 min Mena Today

U.S. Vice President JD Vance said on Tuesday the United States and Iran have made a lot of progress in their talks and neither side wants to see a resumption of the military campaign.

U.S. Vice President JD Vance speaks during a press briefing at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., May 19, 2026. Reuters/Kevin Lamarque

U.S. Vice President JD Vance speaks during a press briefing at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., May 19, 2026. Reuters/Kevin Lamarque

U.S. Vice President JD Vance said on Tuesday the United States and Iran have made a lot of progress in their talks and neither side wants to see a resumption of the military campaign.

"We think that we've made a lot of progress. We think the Iranians want to make a deal," Vance told reporters at a White House briefing.

Vance said he had just spoken to Trump, who stressed that the core issue for the U.S. is that Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. If that happens, Vance said, countries around the Gulf would then want their own weapon, then other countries across the world would as well.

"We want to keep the number of countries that have nuclear weapons small, and that's why Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon," he said.

The United States wants Iran to work with Washington on a process to ensure that the Iranians would not rebuild their nuclear weapons capacity in the years to come.

"That's what we're trying to accomplish in negotiations," he said.

Trump is under pressure to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz - a key route for global supplies of oil and other commodities. Trump has previously expressed hope that a deal was close on ending the conflict, and similarly threatened to renew military strikes ‌on Iran if it did not reach an accord.

When asked if Russia could take possession of Iran's enriched uranium, Vance said: "That is not currently the plan of the United States government. The Iranians have not raised it."

Reporting by Humeyra Pamuk, David Ljunggren, Doina Chiacu

Tags

Related

Qatar

Progress requires patience

Qatar has called for more time to allow diplomatic efforts between the United States and Iran to bear fruit, as the region holds its breath over the fate of negotiations that could determine whether the Middle East slides further into conflict.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.