Skip to main content

Trump signals last chance for Iran as attack threat looms

1 min Mena Today

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that negotiations with Iran were in the final stages, while warning of further attacks unless Iran agrees to a deal.

Donald Trump © Mena Today 

Donald Trump © Mena Today 

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that negotiations with Iran were in the final stages, while warning of further attacks unless Iran agrees to a deal.

Six weeks since Trump paused Operation Epic Fury for a ceasefire, talks to end the war have shown little progress so far. Trump has said this week he came close to ordering more attacks, but held off to allow more time for negotiations.

"We're in the final stages of Iran. We'll see what happens. Either have a deal or we're going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won't happen," he told reporters on Wednesday. 

"We're going to give this one shot. I'm in no hurry," Trump said. "Ideally I'd like to see few people killed, as opposed to a lot. We can do it either way."

Tehran, for its part, accused Trump of plotting to restart the war, and threatened to retaliate for any strikes with attacks beyond the Middle East.

"If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time," the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement.

Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, Iran's top negotiator at peace talks, said in an audio message released on social media that "obvious and hidden moves by the enemy" showed the Americans were preparing new attacks.

Iran submitted a new offer to the United States this week. Tehran's descriptions of the proposal suggest it largely repeats terms previously rejected by Trump, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of U.S. troops from the area.

Trump has said he called off attacks this week at the last minute in response to requests from several of Iran's Gulf neighbours. 

By Jana Choukeir and Humeyra Pamuk

Related

Kuwait

The IRGC tried to infiltrate Kuwait. It didn't go as planned

Kuwait has revealed that four Iranian military officers arrested in early May while attempting to enter the country by sea have confessed to belonging to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and being tasked with infiltrating Bubiyan Island, Kuwait's largest island located close to the Iranian coast.

Iran

Iran turns up the propaganda blitz

Iran threatened on Wednesday to spread war beyond the Middle East if the United States attacks again, after President Donald Trump said he had come within an hour of restarting the military campaign.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Mena banner 4

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.